Re: Trapping Errant DMA Disk Ops

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 11:30:45AM +0200, David Baron wrote:
log entry: kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
readers of this list will begin to think that this is my solution to
every problem... well lately it has been! Check the
powersupply. [...]
Powersupply may be a good cause but, in my case at least, that alone wouldn't solve the problem. The disk got damaged and I had to fix it with a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX", fsck and mkfs were not enough.

oh, and get some backups done quick :)
Indeed, random errors are a clue to know you are near a complete hd failure.