Re: startx and xfce

On 10/09/2006 01:14 AM, Peter Easthope wrote:
Mumia,

At Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:24:21 -0500 you said,
What are you trying to do?

Just for interest, I want to understand how startx,
via several stages of indirection, starts xfce.  I
appreciate the various suggestions but none have
been completely consistent with the system here.

To be convinced, I want to make the pertinent
scripts report to a log.  I need to know which
log to use and how to make a script write to it.

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

I spent several hours trying to figure out how X starts up in detail. It is horrendously complicated. After determining that I wasn't going to figure it out, I remembered the Debian alternatives system, and I configured that the way I wanted.

More power to you if you can figure out how X starts up; I know I can't.

--
paduille.4059.mumia.w@earthlink.net