Re: Network takes absurdly long time to come up

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 03:15:27PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I have just started experimenting with LDAP.  Yesterday I (re)configured
> an LDAP server on my network.  THis one had been setup before, but
> unused.  I had one client which I also reconfigured and another which
> had not been configured at all to use LDAP.  Now, when I reboot any of
> the workstations which have been set to use ldap in nsswitch.conf, they
> take about 20 minutes at the "configuring network interfaces" point of
> the boot process.  I am farily certain that there is something to do
> with LDAP requests timing out, since the workstations which are not
> configured to use LDAP authentication (two laptops) boot without any
> sort of delay.

Sorry for responding to my own post.

I received some help about this in #ldap.  It turns out that putting the
lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf to "ldap compat" instead of "compat ldap"
means that the system tries to contact the LDAP server early on.  Since
this apparently happens before the network is up and running, it takes a
very long time for each request to time out.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez