Using Netcat

Hi, I am using netcat to help me send backups to and from machines with different operating systems.

I am using:
To Backup...
dd if=/dev/"Device" | gzip -9 | nc "Destination" "Port"
     Assumes nc -l -p "Port" >"Image File Name" is running on Destination Host.

To Restore...
nc -l -p "Port" | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/"Device"
     Assumes nc "Destination" "Port" <"Image File Name" is ran afterwards on Source Host.

Problem is, netcat doesn’t know when the data has stopped sending. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks so much!
jlc