Group "audio"

Greetings all,

I had a little problem with the sound control in gnome today with my
newly installed debian (sid, using debootstrap):
The Volume Control button in gnome is invalid (with a red cross on
it), I then googled and found some threads about this mentioned that
you have to check if you are in the group "audio", so I checked the
/etc/group file and there is something like:

cdrom:x:24:
audio:x:29:
plugdev:x:46:

I added my username to the group "audio" and restarted gnome and I got
my sound back.
My question is: Are these groups managed by gnome? Are there any
documentation about these entries?

TIA!

Regards,
Deephay