display problems on my TV

I have been trying to get my linux machine to send a correct signal to
my television set for weeks now. I have found XF86config-4 files from
others that have my same TV and have had success. After using their
modelines I get a somewhat successful result. Instead of just always
seeing wavy lines on the screen, when X initializes right off I see a
correct resolution although the image is a solid pink color. Anyway,
the screen flashes a few more times as though X is reinitializing it
and when the image comes back again it is just wavy lines. Does anyone
have a suggestion for me on this?

my X log shows this:

(WW) open /dev/fb0: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb1: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb2: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb3: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb4: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb5: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb6: No such device
(WW) open /dev/fb7: No such device
(EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings
and/or errors above for possible reasons
	(you may have to look at the server log to see warnings)
(WW) RADEON(0): fbdevHWInit failed, not using framebuffer device

I have gleaned from forums and man pages that this means I need to
setup the radeonfb. I don't really know what it means to do that. I
also don't know if I need a framebuffer device. WIthout the device one
of my displays works fine. The other display only displays a correct
resolution for about 1 second, then it appears as though X
reinitializes it to a non-working resolution (I of course really don't
know if that's what is happening.) Anyway the above errors are the only
errors I receive in my X log.

Anyone able to help on this?