Re: Is shorewall abandoned in sid?

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 06:15:53PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > > I like shorewall. But I too am worried by to big lag. I don't want to
> > > run an out-of-date firewall.
> >
> > The actual firewall is your kernel. Shorewall is just a nicer way of
> > configuring it. I'm not very worried about the lag. Just consider
> > stable still runs 2.2.3
> >
> I just emailed Lorenzo Martignoni, the Debian shorewall maintainer, to
> offer my help in getting the 3.2 version packaged up so that it can ship
> with Etch.  I also use shorewall on all my machines and think it is
> great.  Due to some bugs and other configuration issues, specifically
> with virtual networking/bridging in relation to Xen, I had to update to
> version 3.0.6 before it was in Debian.  When 3.0.7 was uploaded into
> Debian, I immediately downloaded the packages and was quite happy that
> it had made it in.  I really would like to see the most up to date
> shorewall in Debian.  If anyone is able to test the packages and is
> willing to help, that may speed the process.  I will report back once I
> hear from Lorenzo.

Hhmm, I am running stable (with a bit of testing) on my firewall/gateway
and was planning to make it pure stable when etch gets released. But I
could make an exception for a good cause :) My setup is pretty simple
though, I'm not sure if it's suitable for extensive testing it.

Regards, Andrei
(Albert Einstein)