Re: automount usb-storage..??

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 16:11:29 +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 07:49, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > There might be a slight misunderstanding: KDE does not really automount
> > usb devices in the strict sense of the word. What happens is that an
> > icon pops up on your desktop after you insert a pluggable device or
> > removable media, but it is not mounted. After you click on the icon the
> > device/media will be mounted and opened in konqueror. (You can also
> > configure other actions, e.g. staring a media player if you insert an
> > audio CD.)
>
> USB devices are automounted on my Etch system, but I would prefer the action
> you have described.  Is there a way to get that behavior in my system?

You probably have usbmount or a similar package installed. If you want
to use the desktop-integrated handling of the removable devices it is
better to uninstall this package (as is recommended in the package
description of usbmount). If you do not know which process mounts your
devices you can plug one in and check the syslog.

For any desktop environment (DE) that implements the freedesktop.org
specifications related to removable media it should be enough to install
udev, dbus, hal and pmount, as I have described in my earlier mail for
the example of KDE. If you use Gnome you will need the package
gnome-volume-manager in addition to that. Then it should should be just
a matter of activating the icons in the control center, configuration
menu or whatever it is called for the DE that you use.

Here are some troubleshooting tips if it should not work for you:

1) Check if udev creates the device node after you plug in a usb stick.
   This should be something like /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb,
   /dev/sdb1, etc. I would assume that this is OK for you, since you
   have some sort of automounting working at the moment.

2) Remove the usb stick, run "lshal --monitor" and plug it in again. You
   should see messages about the detection of the medium, its device
   label, etc.

3) Still no icons? Make sure they are activated within the DE and check
   ~/.xsession-errors and the syslog for error messages.

--
Regards,
          Florian