start an application on startup

Hi
I have a C++ code which fires, does its thing, and waits for input.
I need to get it up and running automatically from boot up.
I am able to open xterm with the following line

in  .bash_profile
# run the following programs
xterm &

  my C++ application "proj" is in $HOME/path/to/proj

in .bashrc
path/to/proj

which is read by xterm every time it is fired, it works but then when I open another xterm to do othere things, it fires my proj which is not what I want, I want only one instant of the proj running.

thanks
thanks

Do you Yahoo!?