Re: Error when running make menuconfig

On 10/02/2006 08:21 AM, debian wrote:

i installed a new computer with debian but i want newest kernel because
i need to customize it.
When i run make menuconfig i get this:

ca-phlinux:/usr/src/linux-2.6.18# make menuconfig
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
init/Kconfig:245: can't open file "usr/Kconfig"
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

Do this:
$ make-kpkg clean
$ make mrproper
$ make menuconfig

Second question,
my standard debian kernel configuration of the new installation is
pretty good.
Can i use the settings of my running kernel (is it saved somewhere??)
and load it in my new configuration (when running make menuconfig, load
an alternate configuration file, so that i have less work).

Derek's advice for copying your old kernel settings from /boot/ is good.