apt failure

With Debian etch i386 I am faced by a known issue that I met for the first
time after an apt-get upgrade:

Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)

To my apt.conf
APT::Authenticaction::TrustCDROM "true";
Acquire::http::Proxy "false"

I added
APT::Cache-Limit 25165824

suggested on internet, which did not help, however.

Unable to check my version of APT, suppose it is 0.6.46. Someone said
downgrade to 0.6.45 (where to find that, which backport?)

Any better idea?

Not checked on the amd64 machine (yesterday apt-get was working; now
performing calculation, better do not disturb)

Thanks for advice

francesco pietra