Re: Does WD driver support MaxMultSect=16, and is it safe for a mysql server?

afaik multsect is only suported when DMA is not in use. DMA speeds up
transfers much mode, so you should focus on it.

But I found the message below in mysql manual >> optimization >> Disk Issues
On Linux, you can get much more performance by using hdparm to
configure your disk's interface. (Up to 100% under load is not
uncommon.) The following hdparm options should be quite good for
MySQL, and probably for many other applications:

hdparm -m 16 -d 1

Note that performance and reliability when using this command depend
on your hardware, so we strongly suggest that you test your system
thoroughly after using hdparm. Please consult the hdparm manual page
for more information. If hdparm is not used wisely, filesystem
corruption may result, so back up everything before experimenting!

" hdparm -m 16 -d 1 ", which mean that disk can handle 16 multsec and
activating DMA.

I know DMA is excellent, and multsect is also very impressive.

see http://linuxgazette.net/issue79/punk.html

right ?

this is very old comment, (>5 years IIRC), and I'm not sure if it applies to
newer drives.
--
ok, I see. Thanks.