Re: How does Debian load the kernel modules

Hernán Freschi wrote:

Well I wouldn't worry too much about the number of loaded modules. That, of course, assuming you are running a "modern" machine with several hundreds megabytes of RAM. Modules use just a tiny fraction of RAM: 30, 40k ... the largest one for me being Reiserfs with 200k. But assuming an average of 40k size, you'd be freeing up about 1MB of ram.

Of course if you're trying to run an embedded machine (for which you wouldn't be running debian) or an old machine with 24MB ram (the minimum for Debian), well in that case it would be an issue.

I wouldn't worry too much about it with a standard "modern" computer.

I wonder what happens to modules when the system needs RAM? I know Windows stupidly swaps the System memory by default (unless you enable the DisablePagingExecutive option in the registry). Does linux force the modules to stay in RAM or does it try to swap them when it's RAM-hungry?

Cheers,
Hernan

Yes, the space the modules use isn't an issue. But I hope my system can be started much faster (I think loading fewer modules makes the system starting faster)