Re: eth0 (Realtek 8139) suddenly not working

Andrew Vaughan <ajv-lists@netspace.net.au> writes:

> Hi
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 23:19, Peter Thomassen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm still introducing a friend of mine to Linux by phone.
>>
>> Yesterday and the days before, his Realtek 8139 NCI worked out of the box
>> using DHCP. Today, no IP is received over DHCP; instead, the boot script
>> does several tries after different intervals and finally gives up.
>>
> [snip]
>> After the reboot, I noticed that 8139too wasn't loaded, so we modprobe'd
>> it; then ifdown eth0, ifup eth0. No success.
>>
>> Maybe it's useful to know that dmesg says that eth0 is a Realtek 8139. I
>> don't know what to do -- do you?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>
> I've had something similar happen with my desktop.
>
> Similar hardware, realtek 8139 PCI ethernet card.
>
> If I hibernate the computer from windows (either 2000 or vista), windows
> somehow disables the NIC.  The router no longer shows a connection.
>
> Linux doesn't manage to enable the NIC during bootup, (the moduels are
> loaded, it thinks the interface is up, but the router still shows no
> connection) and I need to boot windows to fix things.

After wasting many hours over the past several years trying to get a
Netgear card with the Realtek chip running reliably in various machines
running various releases of Debian, I finally got smart, took a pair of
pliers, and physically removed the PCI connector, by bending and
twisting.  A hammer and anvil repeatedly applied over the surface of the
card would have been quicker and just as effective, and likely would
have been more satisfying.

My conclusion is that life is too short to waste it messing around with
Netgear apparatus.

RLH