Re: idsoftware games

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 11:04 -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> I am trying to get sound working with quake 3 / doom 3 / RTCW from idsoftware.
> I don't have a sound card in this box. I just use whatever it is on the MB
> and it has always worked well enough to make me happy.
>

> It looks like I am going to have to get a sound card to get sound working with
> these games. Anyone have these games working, can you tell me what king of
> sound card you use and if you are happy with it?

Isn't there any useful error messages if you start these games from a
terminal?

You might want to try ioquake3, this is the free version build from id
software's GPL code. Among other things are these sound related
features:

        * OpenAL is now used for sound. Surround sound supported.
        * SDL being used for input, OpenGL context management, and sound.

If you can get sound in SDL apps now, I would guess it would work with ioquake3 too.
http://www.icculus.org/quake3/

There is a link to some Debian packages here:

Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22