Re: NTP Daemon

On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I'm looking for a simple NTP client daemon to synchronize the time on
my debian server. I'm testing openntpd but I've this error message:
adjtime failed: Invalid argument

Could someone help me or suggest something?
Thanks

"aptitude install ntp-server" and off you go.

I believe it's now called just `ntp'.

In etch/testing, yes, it's just "ntp". In sarge/stable, there are a confusing array of ntp* packages.

In etch I recommend just "ntp". Do not install "ntpdate" with "ntp" in etch unless you really know what you're doing. The functionality that used to be offered by ntpdate[*] has been subsumed into the ntp package by adding the "-g" option to the ntpd daemon. Adding ntpdate on top will just confuse things in obscure ways.

For sarge, I recommend installing both "ntpdate" and "ntp-simple". The ntpdate package will do a one-time adjustment at bootup, and the ntp-simple package (which depends on the "ntp-server" package which has the real meat) will keep the clock in sync on a long-term basis after bootup.

Either setup should "just work" right out of the box[**].

In both cases, it should be able to cope well with intermittent internet connectivity.

If you want to know more about the details, and there are *lots* of fascinating details, add the ntp-doc package.

Enjoy!

Rick

[*] the ntpdate program (and the "-g" option to etch's ntpd daemon) does a one-time adjustment of the system clock, usually at system startup --- that works regardless of how far off the system clock is. This may possibly be needed due to an extended internet outage or power failure or a dying cmos battery.

[**] If you're interested in keeping your system clock synced with sub-millisecond accuracy, you'll need to tune the configuration file in /etc/ntp.conf. Most people don't care, and can get by just fine with the default configuration.