Re: Configure to share Window XP printer (before it was set up samba)

Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (27/09/06 21:01), rocky wrote:
> > In my office, we have a Windows XP machine serves as file server and
> > there's a SHARP AR158S printer connect to it. All of my co-workers use
> > printer through the net work. I'm the only person usign Debian. I set
> > up the samba and did the configuration and be able to see the shared
> > folders using smb://server/. By the way the printer is shared on the
> > LAN.
> >
> > I'm using KDE. I went to Control Center->peripherals->printer. There
> > are 2 options for network printer. One is network
> > printer(TCP). Another is newwork printer w/Ipp(IPP/HTTP)
> >
> > In both options I entered smb://server/ppp(my windows XP working
> > printer name) as printer address and In the subnetwork field I input
> > 192.168.1. after that I hit scan but it tells me:
> > "you are about to scan a subnet(192.168.1.*)that does not correspond
> > to current subnet of this computer (127.0.0.*) .Do you want to scan
> > the specified subnet anyway?"
>
> Have a look at:
> http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html
>
> go to localhost:631 in a webrowser and install the printer there; you'll
> need to add yourself to the lpadmin group or login as root.
>
> It is pretty straightforward.
>
> >From the message you received, it's probably worth checking your
> networking setup although if you can see the windowsXP shares, it's
> probably OK.
>
> Regards
>
> Clive

Thanks for your reply!

I did below as root:

##---------snap begin------------------#
LIJIANG:/home/lover# smbclient -L server -U Maxsource
Password:
Domain=[SERVER] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------               ----      -------
         ....                     ...
        print$                Disk      Printer Drivers
        SHARPAR-        Printer   ppp
         ...                     ...                 ...
        AutoMicr        Printer   Auto Microsoft Office Document Image
Writer on BENF
       SHARPAR-.2      Printer   SHARP AR-158S (Copy 1)
Domain=[SERVER] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
##-------------------snap end---------------------##

/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v  shows me the following infomation

#-----------snap begin------------#
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
network smb
#---------snap end-----------#

After that I did
LIJIANG:/home/lover# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p serverPrinter -v
smb://maxsource:outsourcing@192.168.1.14/SHARPAR-    -P /root/ppp.ppd
lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: client-error-not-found

I went to http://localhost:631/admin and under Printers I can see
serverPrinter is there. I started the printer and hit "Print Test
Page". But the test page never get printed out. I Configure the Printer
but the web-browser tells me "client-error-not-possible". After that I
did Modify the printer but I can not find model driver for my WIndows
XP printer SHARP AR-158S.

The printer's diver is already on Windowx XP server. Do I still need to
install the linux driver on my Debian box? I searched in
http://www.linuxprinting.org and google, but can not find and linux
driver for SHARP 158S driver. Does this means I can not share the
printer with my co-workers, simply because I use the different System?

Can any of you help  me please?

Thanks,
Rocky