Re: clock problems

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 08:53 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:
> I'm having problems getting my clock to stay set. I'm dual booting with
> XP, and I can set the clock in XP and from the BIOS without problem.
> However, somewhere I've set Etch to consider the hardware clock as GMT,
> so I get a time three hours earlier than proper. I tried to correct
> this with
>
> hwclock -s --localtime
>
> However, this must not be right, because the change doesn't stick
> between reboots. Furthermore, if I don't do hwclock -s, and just
> continue working with the wrong time, when I shut the computer down it
> resets the hardware clock to the system clock. This means that the
> system clock 'loses' three hours every time I boot. I want the
> opposite, to set the system clock to the hardware clock, and on boot.
> How do I set this up?

I think this is what you want?

        "To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the
        file /etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you
        happened to install your system to use local time, just change
        the variable to yes to start using UTC. It is best to reboot
        after editing /etc/default/rcS to get the changes effective."

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson