Re: Installation Guide, C.4.4.A Configure The Base System

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 04:22:23PM -0700, peasthope@cablelan.net wrote:
> Someone please have a look at this
> page and section of the Installation Guide.
>
> "http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/index.html.en#id2534334";
>
> "C.4.4.A Configure The Base System
>
> Now you've got a real Debian system, though rather lean, on disk. Chroot into it:
> # LANG= chroot /mnt/debinst /bin/bash"
>
> Is the LANG= a typographical error?
> If not, please explain the semantics.
> If so, please tell me what package a bug report should cite.

It is not a bug.  It simply clears the $LANG environment variable before
going into the chroot.  The chroot has a very bare base system, without
any locales installed.  If your own system's default locale is set to
anything but C, lots of programs in the chroot will complain.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez