Re: message-receipts

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:13:39AM -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
Please stop requesting receipts on this mailing list.  It is very annoying.

Thank you.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

I've seen this mentioned several times, but don't know what it means,
nor how it annoys.

Presumably there is some message-receipt protocol.

(a) How does won request or not request receipts?
(b) How do receipts bother one -- I've never noticed it.

-- hendrik

With many (most?) email clients, there are settings to control whether you want to request "return receipts" for email you send. There are also settings to control how you want to handle return receipt requests that are requested of you. Some people set their clients to send them whenever they're requested, automatically. Some people set their clients to ignore all requests automatically because they feel it is (potentially) an invasion of privacy or a security risk. In Thunderbird, the default setting is "ask me" how to handle such requests ... that way, if someone sends you an email requesting a return receipt, you can decide on a case-by-case basis whether you want to. A dialog box pops up asking you if you want to send a return receipt when you receive an email requesting one.

Under normal circumstances, this is fine, because most people don't ask for them. But when someone sends an email to a list like this one with thousands of people on it and requests a return receipt, that means many of us get an irritating pop-up asking if we want to sent it. That's how it annoys.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson