cpu freq scaling stopped working

Installed Etch about two months ago and intially cpu freq daemon and monitoring worked fine with the Gnome applet.

However recently I noticed that this had stopped and applet now reporting that it is unsupported: "You will not be able to modify the frequency of your machine. Your machine may be misconfigured or not have hardware support for CPU frequency scaling."

Up to date Etch (as of posting) on AMD64 X 2 (4200?) with both 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 kernels, same problem.

I remembered that a while ago I installed both powernowd and cpufreqd on top of what was a working cpufreq scaling. dmesg did not give me anu clue as to a fault with powernowd, so I removed this one.
With cpufreqd it gave the message that loading had failed.

What is the default cpu frq scaling solution on an Etch install on this type of processor?

How can I get it back to working solution?

What about cpudyn?

Looking back it probably doesn't make sense to have more than one of these running. Which one would be the best for an AMD processor to use and are there any utility packages needed to configure the daemon or should it work automatically when loaded?

Lots of questions I know - Thank you.
Have learned a lot from this list over the past year already.

--
Kind Regards,

B.Hoffmann