Help building iptables from source

Hello folks, I'm having a little trouble here.

I'm trying to patch iptables to support layer7 (l7-filter.sourceforge.net). I have the kernel already patched, now I'm trying to patch IPTABLES

So what I did was:

apt-get source iptables
apt-get build-dep iptables

then I go into /usr/src/iptables-version/iptables and

patch -p1 < layer7.patch
chmod +x ./extensions/.layer7-test

After that i tried a lot of things:

debian/rules binary
dpkg-buildpackage
pbuilder

None of them works. The module doesn't even compile. So i edited extensions/Makefile, and added "layer7" at the end of the list. That made it try to compile, but I got a dependency missing error. I checked and the script didn't look for the kernel headers at /usr/src/linux, but at its own /usr/src/iptables-version/debian/buld/kernel_profectio (I had exported the KERNEL_DIR variable to the right location already). I copied the layer7-something (don't remember the name right now) from /usr/src/linux/include..../// but that didn't work either. I edited the Header file for the layer7 module. It finally found the header file but I get this (debian/rules binary):

Making dependencies: please wait...
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/iptables-1.3.5.0debian1/debian/build/iptables_profectio'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/iptables-1.3.5.0debian1/debian/build/iptables_profectio'
Something wrong... deleting dependencies.
make[1]: `ip6tables-save' is up to date.
make[1]: `ip6tables-restore' is up to date.
make[1]: `iptables.8' is up to date.
make[1]: `ip6tables.8' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/iptables-1.3.5.0debian1/debian/build/iptables_profectio'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Anyone knows what may be wrong?

Cheers,
Hernan