initrd

I'm working on a project that requires preseeding the Debian installer.  In
my build process, I mount the ISO image over loopback, and then copy
everything to scratch space on a hard drive. I then extract the cpio initrd
for the 2.6 kernel to another directory, copy in my initrd from an
overlay directory,
and then put the initrd back on the server:

pushd $TMPINITRD
        gzip -d -c $TMPISO/install/2.6/initrd.gz|cpio -i
        cp -R $SVNROOT/debian-install-iso/initrd-overlay/* $TMPINITRD
        find .|cpio -ocB|gzip -c > $INITRD26
popd

When I boot the CD, it finds the initrd, but then promply kernel panics,
saying that it is unable to mount root. Is this the accepted way to
generate initrds without mkinitrd? I'd rather not have a system running the
same kernel version as the project is going to be, although I could do
this in a VM if I had to.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/