Re: md5sum problem

S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:18, Marty wrote:
S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:

> 3 month ago, i started new net connection.
> - From then, i am getting a strange problem. i am trying to download some
> CD. But, bad luck, never md5sum works (not mached) for me. even mpg or
> wmv files all the time corrupted.
>
> my isp use simple windows Xp internet connection sharing.
> Is the windows connection sharing is the problem ???

Does that mean you are using a VPN or other kind of IP tunneling?  It
should prevent such problems.

i am using this connection for only my personal use.

I meant your ISP connection, and since you mentioned "connection sharing" I thought it might be a VPN connection. If it's not, then why not? since it would likely solve the problem (but I am not familiar with it myself.)

> btw, i use only a 128 kbps connection, so i need to use resume to
> download CD.

What does ifconfig report about your receive error rate?  TCP and UDP alone
cannot handle high error rates in the data link layer.

shanazsoft:/home/ibrahim/works# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:4C:31:46:04
          inet addr:192.168.0.18  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:4cff:fe31:4604/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:342 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:29822080 (28.4 MiB)  TX bytes:9726283 (9.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:209 Base address:0x9000

It looks fine. If by this you mean that you have an ethernet connection to a router/modem or other device, then I don't see much you can do with Debian if the problem exists beteen the router and the ISP. If you give more information
about the device and connection type if might shed more light on the problem.
Once again, however, the VPN may be the key to your problem.