Re: kernel mess

Bruno Buys wrote:
I upgraded my cpu couple weeks ago, from a sempron2600+ to a 3400+
(754). The thing is, 3400+ has the x86_64 instruction set. My current
stock kernel 2.6.8-2-k7 sees the sse3 instruction set (listed as 'pni'
below), but does not report x86_64 (i'm not sure if it doesn't see the
x86_64 or if it simply doesn't report it. Suggestions on how to figure
this out are welcome). I then installed two more kernels to play with:
the 2.6.8-12-amd64-generic and the 2.6.8-12-amd64-k8. Both boot and run
ok, but I failed to install nVidia drivers for these two, following
every suggestion on Andrew's guide
(http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html). Also
the kernel module for qemu would need to be reinstalled. So here's my
question: will the trouble of getting nvidia binary driver and kqemu to
work on some of these kernels pay off? I am better off sticking to my
2.6.8-2-k7?

thanks!

frank:/home/bruno# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 44
model name      : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2043.279
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 4038.65

Here are some simpler instruction on how to install an nvidia driver; It works well.  The explanations are for i386, but you can use them for amd64. I installed one PC with it a few days ago:
http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.txt