FUSE LUFS ftpfs etc.

Hi there,
my goal is to mount an FTP connection into my filesystem.
I tried both LUFS and FUSE.
I tried to use the LUFS source that comes with Sarge (i.e. 0.9.7, which
is also the most recent one) with a new kernel (2.6.17). The module
crashed. I guess that's because the most recent LUFS release is from 2003.
Then I tried to use the FUSE code that comes with the most recent kernel
(2.6.18) and the fuse-utils that come with Sarge, and a self-compiled
curlftpfs:
matrix:/# curlftpfs -o user=xxx:yyy ftp://1.2.3.4/ /mnt/backup/
fusermount: mount failed: Invalid argument
Apparently that happens because now the fuse-utils that come with Sarge
are too old for a new kernel.
Anyone got FTPFS running? How?
Regards,
Marc