nautilus bug report (was: Recommend a file manager)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:26:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> happy. We used to settle with the the file manager that comes default
>> with Gnome, but now that one can't rename files any more (it actually
>> can initially, but stop responding to keyboard very soon).
>
> Just now I stresses nautilus and could not get it to "not respond to the
> keyboard".  So... please file a bug against nautilus giving as much detail
> as possible.

Thanks Ron for your persistence. I felt obliged to do a through test now. :-)
I can't file bug reports because my email smarthost setting is not working
now...

Seems the problem does not exist in normal situation (LANG=C), but only
occurs when I start my very own Chinese gnome, like this:

 LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 GDM_LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 XMODIFIERS=@im=Chinput startx --
 :1

In ~/.gnomerc:

 LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 /usr/bin/chinput &

All above add up to the bug. I tried to duplicate such environment one
piece at a time, trying to stripped a minimum environment, but seems above
all are necessary to reproduce the bug, especially the chinput, which I
was trying to avoid at first.

When nautilus is launched in such environment, it doesn't take long for it
to stop responding to keyboard: "Rename" -> insert some chars anywhere in
file name just to prove it is working, click mouse around within file name
string here and there, then restart typing with "_", it won't work any
more. You don't need Chinese file names to duplicate, or to active
chinput, just English file names is good enough to reproduce the problem...

Again, I was trying step by step to stripped a minimum bug reproducing
environment. For such complicated setting, I don't expect the bug can be
hunted down easily though...