Re: Machine dropout from modem?

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 07:14:30PM +1000, M-L wrote:
> Using Debian Etch,
> Acer 3614WLCi laptop
> Maestro Woomera modem through a USB to RS232 cable.

> The modem is connected to the ISP but the system has dropped off the modem
> connection.
>
> The modem shows it's connected and yet the laptop isn't connected to it. I try

If the ISP has disconnected you then the "carrier detect" led should
NOT be on. What do you mean "the system has dropped off the modem" but
"The modem shows it's connected".

Are you saying that the laptop has lost connection to the modem but you
are still being billed by your ISP. I don't see how that would be
possible.

What is the ppp daemon printing to syslog in the way of error messages?

> I manually switch off the modem, switch it on again, the modem tells me it's

Is that really necessary? Has the modem "locked up" that badly where
even unplugging the cable, not the power cable :-), doesn't help?

> intelligent. I type "pon" into a terminal, and the modem says dialling, and
> does so and connects again. The lappy picks it up, and is again connected.
>
> Something to do with PPP in Etch?

I think the problem would be a lot more common, any bug reports?

Sarge: 2.4.3-20050321+2sarge1
Etch : 2.4.4rel-2

I'm guessing it may be a hardware fault or a spurious oncer.
Is it happening often or just this once. Try "jiggling" the cables about
a bit when you are connected and see if that drops you off. Also that
modem maybe a bit sus, any chance of swapping for another. If you do
indeed have an intermittent fault, it could be a PITA to crack down.

--
Chris.
======