Re: Language change

John Graves <jh.graves@verizon.net> wrote:

> I installed Knoppix on an available laptop as quick way to check
> debian.  Somewhere I either changed a switch or missed it and a large
> number of things are in German.  I know if I start the live CD, I can
> enter the language switch from the command line but how do I do that
> from an installed copy that has been updated  via a debian package
> manager?  I think the language change occurred at my first update.
>
> John G

From the Knoppix.net website:
[quote]
You can install Knoppix to a hard drive, if you wish, though installation is not required for productive use. Knoppix is designed & intended to be used as a GNU/Linux (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html) LiveCD and not a HD installed Linux distro. A HD installed Knoppix will give you a running GNU/Linux (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html) system but it is not easy to support or administrate and add/remove of software is complicated and is best left to GNU/Linux experts. Examples of such issues can be found in the Hdd Install / Debian / Apt forum (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5). If you a new user and not a GNU/Linux expert & want a HD installed system then skip the LiveCDs and go directly to a distro designed to be installed to a HD, for example Debian 3.1r0a (sarge) (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/). Feel free to ask about other distros in The Lounge (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=7) forum.

Once Knoppix is installed on a hard drive, it's no longer a Knoppix LiveCD but a Debian based GNU/Linux system. Something to note is that Debian developers/users/mentors do not consider Knoppix installed to a hard drive to truly be Debian. They will not support Knoppix users & will tell them to go to Knoppix.net for support. You can ask about alternatives to a HD install and get advice on other distros in The Lounge (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=7) forum.
[/quote]

If you want a HD distro please install Debian. You will get all the
support from us if you encounter problems. Knoppix is *not* meant to be
used installed on a HDD.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Sorry for CC, but I thought maybe you didn't see our previous