start up problems

Hello. I use Etch, and occasionally run into some start up problems. As it's booting, it will read something like this:

PPDEV: user-space parallel port driver

DROPPED IN= OUT=PPRO PREC= MAC= SRC=123 456 789  ...

And it just continues like this. Eventually it will load, but it won't connect to my adsl, and everything runs very slowly. Rebooting sometimes helps, and unplugging, and then replugging my adsl modem also helps in re-establishing the connection. It usually occurs after loading this ppdev parallel port driver.

Is there something I can do about this? Am I missing a library, or package, or something that will prevent this? Sometimes it boots up fine, and I don't have to worry about it. But more often then not I have to reboot it (sometimes reboot numerous times) before it loads correctly.

Mark