Re: Empty syslog

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:54:38PM +0200, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> My /var/log/syslog is empty. Messages are in syslog.0
>
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm    0 2006-09-22 06:26 syslog
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 140K 2006-09-22 14:49 syslog.0
>
> Is normal?  How I can change this in order to use syslog?

Looks like your syslog logfile has been rolled, and syslog hasn't been
restarted. syslog will keep writing to the old file, even if its name
has been changed.

Restart syslog and it will start writing to the /var/log/syslog file
again.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
A look at Ubuntu Server Edition: