Re: Diskless Debian

On 8/5/06, Frank Hart <hart@opensystems.nl> wrote:
A couple of months ago, I switched from a normal PC router to a Linksys
WRT54G with OpenWRT. It's a good image but the problem is space. There
is barely room for an OpenVPN server and shorewall. Also, I'm somewhat
worried about timely updates. One of the big pro's is that the device is
quiet and doesn't suffer from harddisk failures.

The wrtsl54gs is nice, I think. You can use a USB disk on it.

http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/weblogs/arhuaco/wrtsl54gs%201

We will buy a few WRT54GLs, which have 8MB of Flash. I hope to run
openwrt in them.

If you don't fear burning your WAP, it seems you can add a
SD card to it:

http://support.warwick.net/~ryan/wrt54g-v4/v4_sd_done.html

Has anyone tried?

----

On the other hand, I've run Diskless Debian in a cluster.

I configured syslog not to save the logs in disk and used
a RAM image for /var, /etc and /tmp.

I just wanted the root filesystem to be read-only.

I had scripts to revert this changes before using APT, and
to apply them after.

Regards.

--
http://arhuaco.org