how to control/override dev assigment 3ware and USB

I am trying to install using Debian etch b3 daily snapshot for 2006.09.19.

The system is a Chaintech MB with Intel 875 chipset. There is a 3ware 8006 (SATA, 2port) and a USB card reader installed. The CD is attached to secondary IDE on-board controller. I have now disabled the primary IDE on-board controller and the on-board SATA controller.

The installation goes fine. The 3ware is found as /dev/sde. Using the b3 installer, grub failed to install but with the daily snapshot grub installed fine.

Upon reboot, grub is found, the 3ware is found as /dev/sde, a couple of things accessing the 3ware go fine, then the USB card-reader is found and it assigns devices /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, and then stops /dev/sde, where upon the boot freezes.

I need to some how overcome this conflict.

I booted a Knoppix LiveCD to try fixing the system, or at least get device details but the logs are empty.

Is this a known problem?

Does any one have suggestions on how best to fix this?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts