Re: Recent upgrade causes drive lettering scheme to alternate from hda to hde

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
I recently upgrade a perfectly functional sarge laptop to etch. It has
one standard internal IDE hard drive. Now, about half the time it boots
up as hda, and the other half the time it boots up as hde. After the
initramfs stage, if the drive is identified as hde, it fails to boot
unless I create a symlink from /dev/hde2 to /dev/hda2. There seems to be
no rhyme or reason to why the same drive sometimes appears as hda and
sometimes as hde.

Any ideas what's going on?

I've seen these exact symptoms with USB drives coming up as
either sda or sde, even when always on the same USB port,
but never with an ATA drive.

BTW, the correct designation is ATA, not IDE.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.