Re: Debain with Sata & SCSI = boot problem

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:28:52 +0300
"George A. Michalopoulos [AKA Lewis]" <lewis@twmn.net> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i had a debian (etch) box, which was booting from a scsi disk.
> everything was ok, until i mounted some sata disks on a pci
> controller.
>
> Unpredictable, debian "sees" sata disks, before scsi, sometimes..
> This causes Debian not to find /dev/sda3 which should be mounted to /
> after several reboots, soft and hard, finally initialises scsi disks
> first, and mounts root filesystem..
>
> my problem is that i cant reboot it remotely, i have to be there, and
> pray for scsi to initialise first..
>
> any suggestions ?

I'll take a guess. I think you need to rebuild the initrd.img so that
the scsi card drivers for the hd load first. Not sure exactly how to do
that though. Sata drives are identified as scsi drives also, not sure if
you can give any scsi ID umbers to a sata disk, but usually you can
assign a disk id of 0 , as a boot disk, on a 'real' scsi drive.

HTH
--
Greg Madden