Re: Disk/filesystem scan utility

Ron Johnson wrote:

fsck (FileSystemChecK) is the canonical tool.
- - - -

Best done on an unmounted filesystem, so if you need to run it
against / you should boot into a Live CD and run it from there.

Is this a general question, or do you have a possibly bad disk?

Oftentimes, when I boot the kernel, a file system integrity check is forced during bootup. This typically happens after I have used Windows XP.