Re: eth0 (Realtek 8139) suddenly not working

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:49:11PM +0200, Peter Thomassen wrote:
> George Borisov schrieb am Montag, 18. September 2006 15:36:
> > Did it by any chance stop working after you rebooted into Debian
> > from Windows?
> >
> > I ask because I have a sound card that disappears if I do this.
> > It will only work if I shut down and then boot into Linux.
>
> Hey, thanks, that did the trick! Strange issue ... seems to be a bug, but a
> bug of what? BIOS, Windows? Linux?

some register isn't getting reset in a warm reboot? hard to say
whether that's a bug or a feature, but it does point out the reason
for tech support telling people to actually shutdown for 30 seconds or
so and then restarting (this assumes you use one of those OSes that
requires regular rebooting :)