error running python pre-rtupdate hook python-gnome2

Dear debian-users

I run sid on my workstations:

10 days or  so ago I had a hang up with

apt-get dist-upgrade

I got this error:

"error running python pre-rtupdate hook python-gnome2"

and upgrade stopped:

and there were problems with
the install of the three packages
python python-minimal python-support:

I tried
 apt-get install -f
apt-get dist-upgrade

and got nowhere :)

Here is the solution:

I installed python-minimal (forcing comflicts i think,
 which dpkg -i --force-conflicts
 /var/cache/apt/archives/python-minimal_2.4.3-11_all.deb)

Then I had a problem that the link was missing in /usr/bin so I
 linked it manually from within /usr/bin with
ln -s ../share/python/pyversions.py pyversions.

then  apt-get update worked fine. python installed itself naturally.

Thanks to Roger Dunce who solved this problem for me.

Thanks!

Mitchell