Speed of cdrom/dvd writing

I got my first dvd writer. It write both cdrom and dvd, something
that bother me is that speed for dvd writing is never more than 2x
(device and medium are able to do 6x speed) and with cdrom mostly 8x
only sometimes it manage to get 16x speed (device is capable of 48x).

As I found in documentation dma is enabled with hdparam -d1 -u1 /dev/hdc.
Support for mtrr was not compiled in my kernel so recompiled it.

After both those changes I see absolutely no improvment in speed.
There is no differece in speed if DMA is on or off. (Funny thing is that
it seems sometimes hdpara -t /dev/scd0 gives better perfomance with DMA
switched off.)

I wander if this is due to old hardware I have.
I am useing kernel 2.4.27 on 366 MHz Celeron (Mendocino) with 64 MB RAM.
Can writing speed be somehow imrowed or this is too old hardware for
bigger speeds?

Juraj