purge hot plug

Earlier I tried upgrading from kernel 2.6.12-speakup-686 to kernel 2.6.17-speakup-686 and was told I'd need to purge hot plug. The kernel upgrade failed one of the things that ended up happening was all of the kernel's downloaded modules were deleted as the install errored out. I don't yet know if failure to purge hot plug was the cause of that failure. Another failure was with udev failing to properly install and turn on.