Hot to get the original version of a conffile?

Hi.

I was looking at bug #247336, and wondering if it's possible at all
to get the original conffile for an installed .deb.

Is this information stored in the installed system somewhere? (Other
than /var/cache/apt/archives, which does not necessarily have the .deb
anymore)
Given a package, I know how to:

- Get the list of conffiles
- Get the md5 hash of each conffile (from /var/lib/dpkg/info)

But I suppose the original conffiles are not stored?

(I'd like to back up diffs of modified files, as opposed to a full dump
 of /etc).

Thanks,
J.