Re: How to list all the non-free packages installed

On Monday 11 September 2006 10:51, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Every once in a while I need to install a non-free package, so my system
> does have some non-free packages installed.  What command can I use to find
> out what packages are those (so I can remove them or replace them with free
> alternatives)?
>
> Similarly for packages from `unstable, or `experimental'?
>
> I'd have expected the dpkg-query tool to be able to do that, but it seems
> the relevant info is not in dpkg's database.
>
> Any hint?

Others have given better solutions. Another hack is to fire up synaptic and
click on the little rectangle between S and Package tabs on the top right
panel. That will sort the packages according to "Freeness or availability in
the repository. If there is no debian symbol in that field, it means that the
package is non-free or not available in the repository.

By making suitable selection on the right tab, you can also find non-free
packages that are upgradable, non-free packages that are installed, non-free
packages that are available in the repository etc.,

hth
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar