Re: external hard-disk enclosure advice?

> Given the way disk prices have fallen, I'd like to get a new bigger
> disk (say 40-50 GB), but want to get something that I can easily move
> to a new system when I buy one.  As I expect any new system (I'll
> probably buy one within the next 1-2 years) will use different
> somewhat different technologies (e.g., SATA, PCIe, etc).

You may want to check out some of the network-attached-storage solutions.
ASUS and Linksys have pretty cheap ones (not much more expensive than an
external USB/firewire box) and it does give you a lot of extra flexibility.

Of course, whether it's a good option or not depends on whether you have
a chance to share it with other computers over the network.

Performancewise, it's probably not going to be as good as firewire (not sure
about USB2).  Also be super-extra careful to get a box that runs some Linux
kernel firmware so you can get it integrated with your Linux environment
(you can even install Debian on it).  I use a similar setup here and am
pretty happy with it: my NAS is just a generic server
http/print/ntp/mpd/... with the advantage that it's small and quiet.

        Stefan