Re: /dev/hda cannot be found after upgrading my debian

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 04:42:12PM -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:

> I have upgraded my debian packages using ' apt-get dist-upgrade', but
> afterwards the system cannot boot properly since it looks that
> /dev/hda6 (my /home partition) is not found.
>
> The error message starts like:
>
> *********************
> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it realy contains an etx2 file
> system (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is
> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock: e2fsck-b 8193

> It aslo provided a way to "Give root password for maintenance", but
> under /dev there is no hda created.
>
> How can I solve this problem?

If you can get to a shell prompt, tell us the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".

If not, boot from a LiveCD (e.g. Knoppix) and tell us the output.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!