No sound for non-root users

The sound has stopped working for regular, non-root users on my installation of Debian Etch (on a Dell PC with integrated Intel audio chipset).

Sound still works for root (or using sudo), but when I try to run an audio program as an ordinary user (eg mplayer, alsamixer), I get an error saying, "No such device" or similar. All users are members of the "audio" group.

The problem started the first time the PC was rebooted after I installed some missing packages for XFCE this afternoon. Here is the aptitude log for the session in which I installed XFCE, in case it's relevant:

-----------------------------------
Will install 13 packages, and remove 2 packages.
13.7MB of disk space will be used
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libgamin0
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libtagc0
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libthunar-vfs-1-2
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] orage
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] thunar
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] xfce4-session
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] xfdesktop4
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] xfmedia
[REMOVE, DEPENDENCIES] fam
[REMOVE, DEPENDENCIES] libfam0
[INSTALL] gamin
[INSTALL] xfce4
[INSTALL] xfce4-mount-plugin
[INSTALL] xfce4-notes-plugin
[INSTALL] xfce4-screenshooter-plugin
------------------------------------

Sample error message from running mplayer on the command line:

-----------------------------------
alsa-init: using device default
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:670:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
alsa-lib: conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:391:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
alsa-lib: conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: confmisc.c:1070:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
alsa-lib: conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
alsa-lib: conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
alsa-lib: pcm.c:2146:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
alsa-init: playback open error: No such device
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Thanks,

John