X server -> text console -> X server => system sometimes freezes

Hi all.

I have got laptop Acer TravelMate 8004LMi (Intel Centrino, CPU Pentium M Dothan 1.7 GHz, graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 - see more at "http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/Acer-Travelmate_8004LMI-laptop-1-nd2.htm";) and I have an ugly problem:

A few days ago I have upgraded to the Debian Etch and nowadays when I switch from the X.org (7.0.0) to the text console (or into revers order), a kernel sometimes totally freezes. It does absolutely randomly, sometimes on 16th switch, sometimes on 158th switch... and only black screen I can see. I have tried various kernel versions (2.6.10, 2.6.15, 2.6.16, 2.6.17, even vanilla 2.6.16.28), some experiments with ACPI parameters (acpi=off noapic nolapic), various X.org graphic drivers (fglrx, vesa) and text console with framebuffer and without.

Previously I have used the Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.10, XFree86 4.3.0). The behaviour have been similar, but only picture have disappeared (and have been black) and I have needed to do a next few switches (between console and X server) and picture have revived. But now a kernel totally freezes and reset is the only thing that I can do.

It is strange when I take old kernel 2.6.10 (that I have used in Sarge), a kernel freezes even so. When I use vesa X.org driver, a kernel freezes exactly after 7 switches to the X server and back to the text console. With fglrx it freezes absolutely randomly.

I am very confused by this strange system behaviour and I have no more ideas what to do to find a solution of this trouble.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Zbynek Michl

Phone CZ: +420 777 195 241
E-mail: Zbynek.Michl(AT)seznam.cz