Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 02:15:59PM +0200, Jordi Carrillo wrote:
> If packages go from unstable to testing in just 10 days then it's not worth
> going to unstable, is it? I mean, you can live in the bleeding edge as well
> being in testing.
>
> On 9/8/06, TThhiibbaauutt PPaauummaarrdd <_p_a_u_m_a_r_d_@_u_s_e_r_s_._s_o_u_r_c_e_f_o_r_g_e_._n_e_t> wrote:
>      Le vendredi 08 septembre 2006 à 13:20 +0200, Jordi Carrillo a écrit :
>      > I'm using Debian testing and I was thinking about switching to
>      > unstable. Is Debian unstable, stable enough for a Desktop system?
>      Are
>      > there broken dependencies in unstable?
>      > Thanks
>
>      I can't really see a rationale for this. As far as I know, packages
>      normally migrate from unstable to testing in _10 days_ (unless
>      testing
>      is frozen). Packages that don't are broken in some way or break
>      something else in some way. Now I know people do this, I guess they
>      must
>      have a reason (a good reason for an unstable chroot is developing
>      packages for Debian).
>
>      T.
Hi Jordi,
all new bugfixes enter unstable. Packages migrate to testing not exactly
in 10 days. There are factors that make it less and there are factors
that make it longer--even taking months. The important thing is to try
unstable on a second machine, not your main one. Some folks create 2
partitions: one for testing and one for unstable, some create 3 from all
versions. This allows one of them to break while the other will still
work. All you need to do is just keep a seperate partition for your data
files.
for a REALLY big picture check out my diagram at
http://debian.home.pipeline.com
cheers,
Kev