Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

Jordi Carrillo:

> I'm using Debian testing and I was thinking about switching to unstable. Is
> Debian unstable, stable enough for a Desktop system?

No, if you rely on your system to be available 100% (time and function
wise). No, if you don't (know how to) use the BTS, dpkg, apt, package
documentation. If you don't know how to upgrade (and cannot find out
except by asking here), take that as a sign that unstable is not stable
enough for you.

Yes if you have fun living on the edge. Yes, if you have enough time on
your hands to fix a breakage now and then. Yes, if you take regular
backups of your important data.

> Are there broken dependencies in unstable?

Yes, sometimes. But that usually just means that you have to wait
upgrading or installing a particular package. Most of the time you can
still install an earlier version from testing or stable.

J.
--
There is no justice in road accidents.
[Agree]   [Disagree]