Re: configuring mysql server

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
The debian package says that be default the mysql server is installed with
networking disabled. /etc/my.cnf file has a paramerter for [mysqld] of
bind-address =

I am running mysqld on a machine with 3 interfaces (ie the loopback) (my lan interface) (my wan interface)

I am trying to use it to support mythtv-backend so this means I need to change
it so mysql server listens on the loopback and on the lan interface. How?

The documentation for this parameter seems sparse. mysql documentation just
bind-address=IP the IP address to bind to.

No mention of what the default is if its not there.

Mythtv setup doesn't even mention it.

I am sure a requirement to bind to a loopback address and one other is a
common requirement. How do you do it?
Alan Chandler

I am not sure if there is a better way but I recommend to you this one.

Set bind-address=

In this way mysql will listen on all your interfaces. Obviously you do not want some to enter through the wan so execute the next commands.

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -i eth0 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -i lo -j ACCEPT

and that's all. You will be able to access mysql from loopback and from lan, the connections from the wan will be droped.

Note: I suppose here that eth0 is the wan interface and eth1 is the lan, please fit to your needs.

I hope this help

Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)

Do you Yahoo!?