PD: USB stick

"
Hi there,

sorry about the basic quality of the question : I have a sarge distribution on a laptop and I would like to install a USB memory stick. I'm afraid I don't know how to go about it!

Thanks in advance,

Gilles Siche
"

1. Install "kernel-image" 2.6.8
2. Create in /media directories "usb0", "usb1" how many usb ports you have, name them as you wish. I have one "usb0" port for general usb and "camera" for camera and memory stick reader (smaller connector)

3. edit /etc/fstab file (e.g. in "kate" notepad) add lines /dev/sda1 /media/usb0 vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0; ...sdb1 and so on
4. (in KDE, for Gnome I don't know) on the desktop with right-click menu create "device" icon targeting to /media/usb0",
5. insert the stick
6. click device icon.

regards
zbigniew

PS: for above you don't need "gnome-volume-manager". the only thing it gives is auto display of usb directories in ugly "nautilus" browser.